Threat to sue FIFA over Brazil WCup TV rights

Published:

SAO PAULO (AP) -- Broadcaster Record has threatened to sue FIFA for awarding rival network Globo the Brazilian rights for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups without a bidding process.

Record said Wednesday that it was surprised at the decision because it had been told by Niclas Ericson, director of FIFA's TV division, that broadcasters would be allowed to bid for the 2018-2022 rights.

Record said it has emails proving FIFA's promise, saying it was told that bidding would be public and transparent.

Globo has held rights to broadcast each World Cup since 1970.