Friday's Around the Nation: Cavs' center Zeller cleared to play with mask

The Associated Press Published:

Associated Press

BASKETBALL

Doctors clear Cavs' Tyler Zeller to play

CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers rookie center Tyler Zeller has been cleared to play wearing a mask to protect a broken cheekbone.

Zeller fractured his left orbital bone and sustained a concussion when he was elbowed in the face by Los Angeles Clippers center DeAndre Jordan on Nov. 6. Zeller returned from Cleveland's road trip for further evaluation. He is expected to play Saturday night, when the Cavs host the Dallas Mavericks.

Zeller scored a season-high 15 points and grabbed rebounds against the Clippers before he was injured.

Also, the Cavs said forward Luke Harangody underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Friday and will be out approximately six weeks. Harangody had been bothered by soreness and swelling. The third-year pro has not appeared in a game this season.

Heart condition to keep Majerus from coaching

ST. LOUIS -- Saint Louis men's basketball coach Rick Majerus will not return to the team because of a serious heart condition.

The 64-year-old Majerus ended the school's 12-year NCAA tournament drought last season with a 26-win team that won its opening game and took top regional seed Michigan State to the wire. The Billikens were ranked for the first time since the 1994-95 season.

Majerus has been undergoing evaluation and treatment in California for ongoing heart trouble. He and his representatives have requested that the school's department of athletics not provide additional details regarding his health.

BASEBALL

Report: Toronto nears deal with Cabrera

NEW YORK -- A person familiar with the deal says All-Star Game MVP Melky Cabrera is set to join the busy Toronto Blue Jays in his return from a drug suspension.

Cabrera and the Blue Jays have reached agreement on a two-year contract worth $16 million. The deal is pending a physical, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because there was no official announcement.

ESPN Deportes first reported the agreement Friday.

The 28-year-old Cabrera was leading the National League in hitting at .346 for the San Francisco Giants when he was suspended Aug. 15 for a positive testosterone text. The Giants didn't put Cabrera on their postseason roster on the way to winning the World Series.

Earlier this week, the Blue Jays got All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes and pitchers Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle in a big trade with the Miami Marlins.

A's send pitcher Ross to Padres for prospect

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland Athletics have traded right-hander Tyson Ross and minor league first baseman A.J. Kirby-Jones to the San Diego Padres for infielder Andy Parrino and left-hander Andrew Werner.

The deal was announced Friday.

Ross was 2-11 with a 6.50 ERA in five stays with the A's last season. The 25-year-old made 13 starts during his first four stints and later had five relief appearances in September with the AL West champions.

The 24-year-old Kirby-Jones hit .248 with 21 home runs and 69 RBI at Class A Stockton.

Parrino, a 27-year-old switch-hitter, batted .207 with one home run and six RBI in 55 games with San Diego.

The 25-year-old Werner went 2-3 with a 5.58 ERA in eight starts for the Padres.

COLLEGE

NCAA extends probation for Tennessee athletics

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- The NCAA has extended Tennessee's probation for two years as part of penalties handed down Friday following the ruling that former football assistant coach Willie Mack Garza provided impermissible travel and lodging to a prospect.

Penalties include a reduction in official visits, evaluation days and complimentary tickets for recruits. Tennessee's probation runs through Aug. 23, 2015.

Garza, who worked on former coach Lane Kiffin's staff, received a three-year show-cause order. Any school hiring him must prove to the NCAA that it is rules compliant.

FOOTBALL

Vick out for Sunday's game; Foles to start

PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles quarterback Michael Vick will miss Sunday's game vs. the Washington Redskins due to the effects of a concussion.

Rookie Nick Foles, who replaced Vick during the 38-23 loss to Dallas on Sunday, and who practiced with the first team all week, will get his first NFL start in a battle of 3-6 teams fighting to save their seasons.

Philadelphia head trainer Rick Burkholder made the announcement Friday at the team's practice facility, confirming a decision that had been in the works since Monday. It was only because Vick had not completed the league-mandated concussion testing earlier in the week, that coach Andy Reid did not officially rule him out until the team's final practice.

Foles was 22-of-32 for 219 yards with a touchdown and an interception vs. the Cowboys.

Concussion to force Cutler out vs. 49ers

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears say quarterback Jay Cutler will miss Monday's game at San Francisco because of a concussion.

Jason Campbell is expected to start against the 49ers in his place.

Cutler's status was in question after he sat out the second half of Sunday's loss to Houston. The Bears believe he was injured on a helmet-to-helmet hit by the Texans' Tim Dobbins, who was fined $30,000 by the league, late in the second quarter.

Cutler initially did not show any symptoms and took seven more snaps in the first half. It wasn't until halftime that the symptoms showed up, and the Bears went with Campbell in the loss to Houston.

NFL fines referee for on-field obscenities

NEW YORK -- Referee Tony Corrente has been fined one game check by the NFL for uttering some obscenities with his microphone on during a Nov. 4 game in Indianapolis between the Colts and Miami Dolphins.

The fine was issued Friday by NFL officiating director Carl Johnson.

A referee of Corrente's experience earns approximately $9,000 a game.

In the fourth quarter of the game, Corrente inadvertently left his microphone open during a conference with members of the officiating crew. During that conference, Corrente used obscenities that were heard by the crowd and the CBS television audience.

Johnson says the conduct "is inappropriate for a game official."

Corrente has apologized to the Colts organization.

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.