Heading Logo


Prosecutor undecided on 137-shot case

A prosecutor says he hasn't decided whether to pursue charges against five Cleveland police

Published: April 15, 2017 4:00 AM
  • 1 of 4 Photos | View More Photos

CLEVELAND (AP) -- The new county prosecutor in Cleveland appears to have left open the possibility he might not pursue misdemeanor criminal charges against five Cleveland police supervisors for failing to control a high-speed chase in 2012 that ended with two unarmed black people fatally shot in a 137-shot barrage of police gunfire.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled Thursday that a judge in East Cleveland, where the chase ended, can preside over the officers' dereliction of duty charges. The ruling did not address the merits of the charges.

Prosecutor Michael O'Malley said through a spokesman Friday that his office was reviewing the court's ruling and that no decision had been made about whether he would pursue charges against Randolph Dailey, Patricia Coleman, Michael Donegan, Jason Edens and Paul Wilson.

O'Malley took office in January and inherited the case from his predecessor, Tim McGinty, whom O'Malley defeated last year in a Democratic primary election.


Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.