Heading Logo

No one hurt in Twin Lakes fire

By Thomas Gallick | Staff Writer Published: November 15, 2012 4:00 AM
  • 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos

No one was injured after a home in the Pines in Twin Lakes development caught on fire Wednesday morning.

Kent Fire Chief Dave Manthey said his department received a report of a chimney fire that was spreading in the Heather Circle section of the Pines development at about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Manthey said a gas fireplace in the unit at 7583 Heather Circle apparently overheated, causing a wall to catch on fire.

"We got in, opened up the wall, put the fire out and checked for spread," he said. "We were under control in about 15 or 20 minutes."

No one was injured in the blaze, but Manthey said the department had advised the residents of the dwelling to seek other housing for at least one night due to the smoke damage.

[Article continues below]

"There's a lot of smoke damage to the house, which is common," Manthey said. "Actually, it could have been a whole lot worse than it was. The guys made a real good stop on it."

He said if firefighters had arrived on scene 10-15 minutes later, there likely would have been serious damage to the dwelling.

Due to the location of the fire in the Franklin Township/Twin Lakes area, where fire hydrants can be scarce, the Kent Fire Department contacted multiple other agencies to request mutual aid, including a tanker shuttle from the Streetsboro Fire Department. The Kent Fire Department canceled some of that aid when they arrived on scene and found the development had a private water supply.

The Mantua-Shalersville, Ravenna, Ravenna Township and Stow fire departments also responded to the fire.

Manthey said the best ways to prevent fires caused by gas fireplaces is to perform regular maintenance and use them sparingly if possible.

Contact this reporter at 330-298-1126 or tgallick@recordpub.com

Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.