No one was injured after an industrial accident sparked a fire at ACS Industries' headquarters on Mogadore Road in Kent Monday night.
Kent Fire Chief Dave Manthey said his department had the fire under control shortly after 9 p.m. Monday after battling it for about 20 minutes.
He said a spark from a grinding machine at the plant apparently led to the fire in an approximately 20-by-50 paint booth on the property.
"Apparently they were grinding something in one of the paint booths and it caused a spark and it looks like it caught one of the filters on fire in the paint booth," Manthey said.
Manthey said there was "nothing suspicious" about the fire.
The Kent Fire Department has not yet released a damage estimate from the fire. Manthey said although the fire did not burn for long, it was extremely hot and required Kent firefighters to take to the roof of the building to prevent the blaze from spreading.
"It definitely could have been worse," Manthey said. "Our guys go in there and made a quick, effective stop."
ACS Industries did not have to cancel work for its employees Tuesday due to the fire.
ACS Industries, formerly known as American Coupler Systems, makes attachments for backhoes, excavators and other construction equipment. The company was founded in Ravenna in 1968 and has been at its location in Kent at 2151 Mogadore Road for more than 30 years.
Fire departments from Brimfield and Rootstown offered aid to the Kent Fire Department at the scene.
Contact this reporter at 330-298-1126