- 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos
Here are some of today's top headlines from around the area, including a suspended Akron football player who pleaded no contest to theft of "glass water bong," yesterday's four Mahoning Valley earthquakes could be due to fracking and a 15-year-old in New Franklin slayings case will be tried as an adult.
NEW FRANKLIN SLAYINGS: Summit County Juvenile Judge Linda Tucci Teodosio ruled Monday that Jamall Vaughn, who was barely 14 when he was allegedly an accomplice in the murders of Jeffrey and Margaret Shobert, will be tried as an adult following an amenability hearing last week, according to the Beacon Journal. The amenability hearing was to determine whether Vaughn could be rehabilitated in the juvenile system. Vaughn's attorney said last week that Vaughn, who has an IQ of 70 and has deficient skills in reading, math and spelling, is not emotionally, physically or cognitively mature enough to be tried as an adult. The principal defendant in the murder of the Schoberts, who were beaten to death in their bedroom on April 2, is Shawn Eric Ford, Jr., 19, the former boyfriend of their 18-year-old daughter Chelsea. Vaughn and Ford allegedly walked eight miles to the Schoberts' home, killed Jeffrey Schobert, then texted Margaret Schobert from Jeffrey's phone to lure her home, where she was ambushed. Prosecutors cannot request the death penalty for juveniles. Click here to read more at ohio.com.
HOME DEPOT SHOOTING: The case of a March 4 shooting in a North Olmsted Home Depot parking lot was bound over to a grand jury Tuesday morning, according to the Northeast Ohio Media Group. Police say James Bekker, 34, shot Peter Schramm, also 34, in the back in a Home Depot parking lot while Schramm was climbing out of the back of a Lifestyle Painting van, a company which he owns. Police say Schramm and Bekker have known each other for years, and Bekker believes that Schramm was involved in the kidnapping of Ariel Castro victim Gina DeJesus. Bekker is being held on $250,000 bond. Click here to read more at cleveland.com.
EARTHQUAKES: The Ohio Department of Natural Resources has ordered Hilcorp Energy Co., which owns seven wells at the Carbon Limestone Landfill, to close while it investigates the cause of four earthquakes in the Youngstown area Monday morning, according to the Vindicator. The first earthquake, the epicenter of which was located almost directly below Hilcorp's well pads, occurred at 2:26 a.m. and was a magnitude 3.0. The second earthquake occurred 16 minutes later to the west and registered at a magnitude of 2.4, and the third and fourth earthquakes followed in the east between 11 and noon registered at 2.2 and 2.6 magnitudes, respectively. The ODNR said that the earthquakes were not connected to Class II injection wells, but ODNR is investigating whether the act of franking itself could lead to the tremors. Click here to read more at vindy.com.
ST. THOMAS ER: Despite rumors that Summa Health System is planning to close the emergency room at St. Thomas Hospital, Summa officials say there are no plans to close it at this time, according to the Akron Beacon Journal. However, Summa did say that it is evaluating whether any changes need to be made in the hospital's emergency department. Akron Fire Chief Robert C. Ross said that although they don't take a lot of patients to that ER, the closing at St. Thomas could impact some patients. St. Thomas is located less than 2 miles from Akron City Hospital. Click here to read more at ohio.com.
BONG THEFT: Seth Cunningham, 22, a suspended University of Akron football player, changed his plea not guilty to no contest in the armed robbery of a Brunswick tobacco shop in May where a glass water pipe was stolen, according to the Medina Gazette. Cunningham is charged with aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony, as well as two gun specifications. Workers at the Twilight Boutique in Brunswick said a man wearing a mask and a camouflage jack stole a $447 glass water bong while brandishing a gun. Cunningham was arrested just an hour later when a police officer searching for the robber approached his pickup truck and found him inside with a camouflage jacket, gun and bong. The county assistant prosecutor and Cunningham's attorneys agreed to the plea as part of a deal on a minimum prison sentence of six years, but county Common Pleas Judge Christopher J. Collier said Cunningham could get more prison time. Click here to read more at medinagazette.northcoastnow.com.