The Ohio State Highway Patrol, in conjunction with Windham Police Department, Garrettsville Police Department, Hiram Police Department, Mantua Police Department, Ravenna Police Department, Brimfield Township Police Department, and the Kent Police Department, will hold OVI checkpoints at various times today in Portage County.
The checkpoints will be held as follows:
• 8 to 10 p.m. on S.R. 303 in Windham Township -- Windham P.D. and the OSHP
• 9 to 11 p.m. on S.R. 44 in Mantua -- Mantua P.D. and the OSHP
• 10 p.m. to midnight on S.R. 82 in Garrettsville -- Garrettsville and Hiram P.D.s and the OSHP
• 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. on S.R. 14 in Ravenna -- Ravenna P.D. and the OSHP
11 p.m. to 1 a.m. on S.R. 59 in Kent -- Kent P.D. and the OSHP
• 10 p.m. to midnight on S.R. 44 in Rootstown -- OSHP
• Midnight to 2 a.m. on S.R. 43 in Brimfield -- Brimfield P.D. and the OSHP
The OVI checkpoint, funded by federal grant funds, is planned to deter and intercept impaired drivers. The checkpoint will also be held in conjunction with nearby saturation patrols to aggressively combat alcohol-related injury and fatal crashes.
The Ohio State High Patrol advises that if you plan to consume alcohol, designate a driver or make other travel arrangements before you drink; don't let another life be lost for the senseless and selfish act of getting behind the wheel impaired.