Heading Logo

Councilwoman urges support for Ravenna levy

Published: January 22, 2014 4:00 AM

As a graduate of Ravenna High School, a parent with children in the Ravenna schools, a resident of the community and as a City Council representative for the city of Ravenna, it with "Raven pride" that I endorse Issue 1, the Ravenna School District levy. I am asking my friends and neighbors to cast a "yes" vote in support of our schools and community on Feb. 4.

There are many reasons to support our children and school district. The district leadership has kept its promises to be frugal with taxpayers' dollars. They are only asking for what is necessary to enhance the student achievement and school experience for the children of Ravenna. All school employees have taken a minimal raise while paying additional percentages on their own health insurance.

Specifically, the 4.9 mills will generate an additional $1.5 million per year to be used for technology, school safety, additional academic programming and to repair our aging school buildings. There are numerous mandates coming from the state that the school district must comply with without additional funds. The money is truly needed.

In comparison, just as we must pay to protect our personal assets, we must also each do our part to pay and protect our most valuable public asset, our children and schools.

The time is right. The time is now. Please join me in voting "Yes" for Issue 1 on Feb. 4.

Amy Michael, Ravenna City Counci at Large

Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.

little_r_republican Jan 24, 2014 6:59 AM

poor tiggy...complaining about paying sales tax on his carmel latte while he works hard trying to read his autographed edition of rules for radicals...

TaggR Jan 23, 2014 7:52 PM

Nothing lately whiner. Unlike you I have been busy working and paying taxes.

"spoken like a true progressive" = Just further confirmation of your never ending political rhetoric. People like you just persuade more people not to vote for republican candidates. They fear you are a overall representation of what we may get if we vote republican. A miserable blubbering idiot full of lies and rhetoric.  If I truly supported the democratic party, I would say thank you. For now I will sit back and watch the train wreck, courtesy of the GOP whiners club.

little_r_republican Jan 23, 2014 12:31 PM

taggy...spoken like a true progressive...read any more books lately?

TaggR Jan 23, 2014 12:02 PM

portage, did you really think little_whiner would actually address your question?

The guy is full of lies and political rhetoric. I don't believe he has job and pays taxes either.

little_r_republican Jan 23, 2014 11:47 AM

well portage...if you live in Ravenna, there will be a tax levy about 4 times per year. democrats don't pay taxes, so they don't care.

little_r_republican Jan 23, 2014 11:46 AM

portage Jan 22, 2014 8:58 PM

little_r_republican aka redleg6, how is it every time a community has a levy on the ballot it some how affects your pocketbook? Do you think the readers actually believe you live in all these places?

superfish Jan 22, 2014 8:46 PM

How about the state of Ohio come up with a equitable way of paying for the schools,instead of taxing homeowners. I personally don't have children in school and yet am expected to fund something i don't use. I have not got a pay raise in 6 years and have had to tighten up my budget. I certainly can't vote to give away any more of my money at this time. Didn't we just vote no on this in november?

superfish Jan 22, 2014 6:01 PM

How about Ohio come up with a more equitable way to fund schools instead of making homeowners without children in school pay for a sevice that they don't use. I personally have not had a raise in 6 years and have had to cut back to pay my bills.I can't vote to give any more money out of my pocket. anymore than i can go on a vacation that i deserve for my own sanity.

redleg6 Jan 22, 2014 4:10 PM

The Raven turned Blue, now they want more of your Green.

Vote NO!

little_r_republican Jan 22, 2014 9:43 AM

Great....I just need more money to give you more money. Unfortunately, I can't vote myself a pay increase.