- 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos
Broncos OC McCoy agrees to become Chargers head coach
SAN DIEGO -- Mike McCoy is the new head coach of the San Diego Chargers.
The team has scheduled a 2 p.m. PST news conference Tuesday to introduce McCoy, who had been the offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos.
The 40-year-old McCoy replaces Norv Turner, who was fired along with general manager A.J. Smith after the Chargers finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs for the third straight season.
Bradley has second interview with Eagles
PHILADELPHIA -- Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley arrived in Philadelphia on Tuesday for his second interview with the Eagles, suggesting the nearly three-week search to replace Andy Reid could be nearing an end.
Bradley first met with the Eagles in Atlanta on Saturday, a day before Seattle lost to the Falcons in a NFC divisional playoff game. He's the first of the 11 known candidates interviewed by Philadelphia to get a second meeting. He's also expected to interview with Jacksonville this week, though the Eagles could make him an offer that changes those plans.
QB Cam Newton taking classes at Auburn
AUBURN, Ala. -- Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton is enrolled at Auburn for spring semester.
Auburn spokesman Kirk Sampson said Tuesday that Newton is taking classes toward a sociology degree. Sampson says Newton isn't doing media interviews and "wants to focus on school and be a normal student."
Newton led the Tigers to the 2010 national championship in his lone season after transferring from junior college.
Five prep players enroll early at Notre Dame
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Quarterback Malik Zaire and offensive lineman Steve Elmer were among five football players who graduated high school early to start classes at Notre Dame.
Tight end Mike Heuerman of Naples, Fla., wide receivers James Onwualu of St. Paul, Minn., and Corey Robinson of San Antonio were the others to enroll Tuesday, eight days after the Fighting Irish lost to Alabama 42-14 in the BCS title game. Zaire is from Trotwood, Ohio, and Elmer is from Midland, Mich.
Watkins Glen race gets Cheez-It as sponsor
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Watkins Glen International has signed a multi-year deal with Cheez-It crackers to sponsor the NASCAR Sprint Cup race at the Finger Lakes track.
WGI president Michael Printup and Kellogg Co. officials made the announcement of the Cheez-It 355 at The Glen on Tuesday. This is the company's first race entitlement sponsorship, though Kellogg has been involved with NASCAR since 1991.
LPGA adds three more events to schedule
One month before its season begins, the LPGA Tour has announced a 28-tournament schedule that includes five majors, three additional tournaments and prize money closing in on $50 million.
LPGA Tour Commissioner Mike Whan on Tuesday delivered a balanced schedule that circles the globe. It starts next month in Australia. More than half the tournaments are in North America.
The Asian swing late in the year includes a new tournament in China. The season ends in November with the LPGA Titleholders and $700,000 to the winner, the biggest payoff in women's golf.
Serena romps on bad ankle in Australia
MELBOURNE, Australia -- Flat on her back, her sore right ankle raised and her hands covering her face, Serena Williams tried to block out thoughts that her bid for a third straight Grand Slam title might be ruined.
After a dominating run the last six months, Williams was a big favorite to win the Australian Open. Suddenly, though, there seemed a way for her to be gone in the first round.
"I almost panicked, and I thought, 'I can't do that,'" she said. "I just have to really remain calm and think things through."
Nationals, Soriano close to $28M deal
WASHINGTON -- A person familiar with the negotiations says reliever Rafael Soriano and the Washington Nationals are working to finalize a $28 million, two-year contract.
Soriano's deal would contain a $14 million option for 2015 that would become guaranteed if he has 120 games finished over 2013 and 2014 combined.
ESPN anchor Scott says cancer returned
BRISTOL, Conn. -- ESPN anchor Stuart Scott says his cancer has returned.
Scott announced on Twitter late Monday night that he would undergo chemotherapy every two weeks but would continue to work.
The "SportsCenter" host was first diagnosed with cancer in 2007, when an emergency appendectomy revealed a malignant tumor. He underwent chemotherapy again in 2011.
The 47-year-old Scott joined ESPN in 1993. He quickly became popular for signature phrases such as "Boo-yah!"
He tweeted: "Cancer wants to re-appear..picked the right guy cuz I HIT HARD all day long!!"