Teixeira out eight to 10 weeks with wrist injury
TAMPA, Fla. -- Mark Teixeira is going to be out at least until early May with a strained right wrist tendon, the latest major injury setback for the New York Yankees.
New York general manager Brian Cashman gave the news after the Yankees' were beat 8-2 by the Dominican Republic World Baseball Classic team on Wednesday.
Teixeira was hurt swinging a bat Tuesday in an indoor cage during pregame warmups with the U.S. WBC team. Initially, Teixeira was expected to be out eight to 10 days, but Teixeira was examined by Yankees doctors in New York on Wednesday and a diagnosis of eight to 10 weeks was given.
Cashman says Teixeira will rest for four weeks before beginning rehabilitation.
It's the second major injury for the Yankees during spring training this year. Outfielder Curtis Granderson broke his right forearm when he was hit by a pitch Feb. 24. He will also be sidelined until early May.
NCAA investigator wrote letter on Shapiro's behalf
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- One of the investigators who worked the NCAA's inquiry of Miami athletics wrote a letter on former booster and convicted felon Nevin Shapiro's behalf just days before he was sentenced two years ago.
In the letter dated June 3, 2011, Ameen Najjar told U.S. District Judge Susan Wigenton that Shapiro assisted the NCAA with investigations involving a number of schools.
Najjar also wrote that the NCAA "could utilize Mr. Shapiro in the future as a consultant."
Shapiro is the central figure in the NCAA's case against Miami after he gave extra benefits to dozens of athletes and recruits over an eight-year span.
Shapiro was sentenced to 20 years in prison for masterminding a $930 million Ponzi scheme.
Najjar is no longer with the NCAA. The NCAA did not immediately respond Wednesday to a request for comment.
NCAA lifts ban on its tournaments in N.J.
MONTCLAIR, N.J. -- The NCAA has lifted a recent ban against New Jersey schools being allowed to host tournament games or championships sanctioned by the sports governing body.
The NCAA informed its member schools of the decision in a memo after U.S. District Judge Michael Shipp in Trenton issued a permanent injunction Thursday, barring New Jersey from offering sports betting in the state.
Gov. Chris Christie signed a sports wagering law last year, but the NCAA and four major sports leagues challenged it.
Carol Blazejowski, the associate vice president for university advancement at Montclair State University, said she had received the NCAA memo.
49ers release six-time Pro Bowl kicker Akers
SAN FRANCISCO -- Six-time Pro Bowl kicker David Akers has been released by the San Francisco 49ers after two seasons filled with record-breaking highs and incredible lows.
General Manager Trent Baalke thanked Akers in a statement Wednesday, calling the kicker a "true professional who represented himself and this organization with class."
Akers appeared in all 32 regular-season games and five playoff contests the past two seasons. He connected on 73-of-94 field goal attempts and all 78 extra points.
In 2011, Akers set NFL records with 44 field goals made and 52 attempted. He also tied the league mark for the longest made when he kicked from 63 yards in last season's opener at Green Bay.
But Akers made just 29-of-44 attempts last season, his lowest percentage since 1999. The 49ers even brought in Billy Cundiff to compete against Akers before the divisional-round playoff and NFC Championship Game.
Blue Jackets send Drazenovic back down
COLUMBUS -- The Columbus Blue Jackets have reassigned center Nick Drazenovic to their American Hockey League affiliate in Springfield, Mass.
The 26-year-old Drazenovic did not have a point in four games with Blue Jackets. He had 16 goals and 30 assists in 47 games with Springfield this season.
A native of Prince George, British Columbia, Drazenovic was signed by the Blue Jackets as a free agent on July 1, 2011, after spending four seasons in the St. Louis Blues organization. He was the Blues' sixth pick, 171st overall, in the 2005 draft.
Attention now follows McIlroy to the course
DORAL, Fla. -- As if quitting in the middle of a golf tournament didn't bring Rory McIlroy enough attention, it might not let up on the golf course.
McIlroy plays the opening two rounds of the Cadillac Championship with the next two players behind him in the world ranking -- Tiger Woods and Luke Donald. McIlroy has started the year so poorly that he has yet to play more than two rounds in any of his three tournaments.
He at least is guaranteed 72 holes at this World Golf Championship, which brings together the world's top players based on world ranking or position on various money lists.
Woods is coming off a mediocre performance in the Honda Classic, though he is a three-time winner at Doral.