Hiram College women down Thiel for third straight win

Record-Courier staff report Published:



The Hiram College women’s basketball team stretched its current win streak to three games with a 71-58 win against Thiel (Pa.) College in a non-conference game at Price Gymnasium on Saturday.

Thiel (2-6) scored the first points of the game, but that would be the only lead the Tomcats would have in the game as Hiram (4-6) went on a 10-0 scoring run that ended in a layup by freshman forward Brianne Goodrich, giving the Terriers a 10-2 lead at the 16:14 mark.

Thiel fought its way back into the game and got to within a point, 17-16, with 13:11 left before halftime. But another scoring run by Hiram, this time a 15-2 run, extended the margin to double-digits, 32-18, following a jumper by Goodrich with 7:30 left in the half.

Hiram went on to lead by as many as 18 points en route to having a 41-25 advantage heading into the locker rooms.

Hiram never looked back in the second half and recorded its largest lead of the game of 28 points with 11:42 remaining in the game on a three-point play by freshman forward Jaclyn Fortner (Norton).

The large lead gave the Terriers an opportunity to rest their starters, and Thiel battled its way back to within 11 points just before the end of the game, but the earlier Hiram lead was enough as the Terriers went on to post the 71-58 win.

Bethany Hines was the only Tomcat in double figures with 15 points.

Hiram was paced by sophomore forward Christy Griffin with 14 points. The duo of Goodrich and senior All-NCAC guard Alexis Kemper rounded out the high scorers with 12 points each. Kemper also grabbed a game-high eight rebounds.



The Hiram College men’s basketball team rallied from a seven-point deficit in the second half, but eventually lost in overtime to Ohio Wesleyan University 69-67 in a North Coast Athletic Conference game Saturday at Price Gymnasium in Hiram.

Hiram (1-5, 1-2 NCAC) started the game with a 6-0 scoring run, but Ohio Wesleyan (7-2, 3-1 NCAC) came right back by outscoring the Terriers 12-2 to take a 12-8 lead at the 13:11 mark. The Battling Bishops never trailed in the half again and led by as many as eight points on two occasions, including a 36-28 advantage with 1:38 left in the half.

Hiram scored the final points of the half on a 3-pointer by senior All-NCAC guard Aaron Stefanov (Stow High School) to narrow the gap to 36-31 at halftime.

OWU began the second half with a basket to go up by seven points, before another triple by Stefanov sparked an 8-2 run to get the Terriers to within a point, 40-39, with 18:01 to go.

Trailing by four points, 46-42, at the 13:45 mark, the Terriers outscored the Bishops 18-5 over the next 8:54 that ended with a 3-pointer by senior guard Josh Edmondson to give Hiram its largest lead of the game at nine points, 60-51, with 4:51 to play.

OWU chipped away at the Hiram lead and eventually tied the game at 62-62 with 1:24 left. Neither team could score the game-winner in the final minute-and-a-half, sending the game into overtime.

In the overtime period, Hiram grabbed the lead on a jumper by sophomore forward Ray Gaston to put the Terriers up 64-62. OWU moved ahead with back-to-back baskets for a two-point advantage, 66-64, before Stefanov’s fourth triple of the game put the Terriers out in front, 67-66, with just over a minute remaining.

The Bishops scored on a lay-up and later added a free throw to regain control, 69-67, and set up a final possession for Hiram. The Terriers managed to get a 3-point attempt off, but the shot missed its mark and OWU hung on for the 69-67 victory.

The Bishops were led in scoring by Seth Clark with 18 points.

Hiram was led by Stefanov’s 20 points. Edmondson was the only other Terrier in double figures with 12 points and had eight rebounds. In addition, senior forward Chris Zurowski grabbed a game-tying high nine boards.

— R-C staff report

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.