Heading Logo


Dewar racing ahead

Associated Press Published: July 14, 2017 4:00 AM
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1 of 13 Photos | View More Photos

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR has promoted Brent Dewar from chief operating officer to president.

Under the move announced Thursday, Dewar becomes the fourth person ever to hold the title of NASCAR president.

Dewar joined NASCAR as a chief operating officer in 2014. NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France said in a statement that Dewar "has helped lead a cultural transformation of NASCAR" and has "spearheaded some of the most impactful enhancements NASCAR has implemented in its history."

WHITE SOX RELIEVER NATE JONES OUT FOR SEASON

CHICAGO -- Chicago White Sox reliever Nate Jones has undergone season-ending arm surgery.

[Article continues below]

Sidelined since April 28 because of inflammation in his right elbow, he experienced discomfort during a throwing session last week.

General manager Rick Hahn says the issue stems from Tommy John elbow surgery Jones had in 2014. He says scar tissue formed around the nerve and caused the irritation. Hahn says Jones is expected to make a full recovery by the start of spring training.

Jones had a 2.31 ERA with 15 strikeouts and six walks in 11 appearances this year. He is 20 -10 with a 3.12 over six seasons with the White Sox.

JIMBO EAGER

FOR JUMBO CHALLENGE

[Article continues below]

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher hopes his players will be ready for a demanding opening month that could determine whether the Seminoles are playoff contenders.

Speaking at the Atlantic Coast Conference's preseason media days Thursday, Fisher pointed to lessons learned from last year's lopsided loss to Louisville and eventual Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson in September.

The Seminoles open the season this year against Alabama in Atlanta, then face ACC foes Miami and North Carolina State later in September.

"I think last year will hopefully make us understand that it's not only a one-game deal at the beginning, that it's going to be all the way through and that first half of the season," Fisher said. "We're going to have to be extremely prepared physically, mentally, psychologically and every way for it. And then I think last year hopefully will be that teaching tool because you learn from your experiences, good and bad."

SWINNEY STILL SMILING

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Dabo Swinney isn't concerned about losing more than 77 percent of his team's offensive production from last season's national championship team.

Rather, Clemson's 10th-year coach is brimming with confidence that the Tigers can replace quarterback DeShaun Watson and a host of other top-level players and maintain the program's success, which includes a 34-5 record over the last three seasons with two trips to the national title game.

"Everybody keeps wanting to talk about last year's team and what we don't have, but what I'm excited about is what we do have," Swinney said.

Swinney said he "loves" this year's roster because he has a hungry group of players eager to prove themselves and keep up Clemson's winning tradition.

Still, it may not be an easy road.

Clemson will have to do more than just replace Watson, who over his last two seasons with the Tigers threw for 8,702 yards and 76 touchdowns and ran for 1,735 yards and 21 TDs.

The Tigers lost two other All-Americans on offense -- wide receiver Mike Williams and tight end Jordan Leggett. Wide receiver Artavis Scott, the school's all-time leader in receptions, and 1,000-yard running back Wayne Gallman are also in the NFL.

Returning players for Clemson account for just 22.7 of the offense from last year's team, which ranks 128th of the 130 teams that will compete at the FBS level.

And that's just on offense.


Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.